There are various reasons you may be experiencing hearing loss. At Advanced Audiology, we strive to educate you on the signs, types and prevention. We can assist with noise, childhood, tinnitus and other hearing issues.
Here are some general facts:
- 3 in 10 people over age 60 have hearing loss
- 1 in 6 Baby Boomers, or 14.6%, have a hearing problem
- 1 in 14 Generation Xers have a hearing problem
- At least 1.4 million children have hearing problems
- It is estimated that 3 in 1,000 infants are born with severe to profound hearing loss
Noise and Hearing Loss
- Excessive volume is a major contributing factor
- If you cannot carry a conversation in the presence of noise, it is too loud for your ears and can potentially cause hearing loss
- 1 in 4 workers exposed to high levels of noise will develop Hearing issues
- Professions at risk: firefighters, police officers, factory workers, farmers, construction workers, military personnel, heavy industry workers, musicians and entertainment industry professionals.
Childhood Hearing Loss
Children’s quality of life and development depend on hearing. Hearing helps your child speak, read, appreciate music and receive warnings of approaching harm.
- Majority of hospitals offer newborn hearing screening before discharge
- All children should be screened before 1 month of age
- Infants may begin to use hearing aids as early as 1 – 3 months of age
- 85% of all children experience at least one ear infection
- Second-hand smoke in the home increases the risk of middle ear infections and respiratory allergies in children